Monday, August 16, 2010

Stewart Hoping for Title Shot After Latest Win

By KOTC Staff

Not even a year has transpired yet since Brad Stewart made his pro debut last September, but after extending his record to 4-0 with a decision win over Elmer Waterhen at King of the Cage Canada’s recent “Lockdown” event, the rising middleweight is hoping a title shot is next.

“We’ve actually been talking about a possible title fight and I feel that I’m ready for that,” said the 26 year-old Stewart, who now holds victories over Lee Lepoidvin, Ryan Sieben, Allan Hope, and the aforementioned Waterhen.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds next in the KOTC Canada middleweight division, as current champion Ryan Chiappe recently attempted to win the promotion’s welterweight belt on July 30th, but was submitted by Garett Davis.

“I’d like to fight Jarid Bussemakers,” said Stewart, who conceded that he wasn’t sure what exactly KOTC has planned. “He’s 4-2; we’ve had about the same amount of fights as the other; he’s fought some really tough guys too and I think it would be a really good fight.”

Stewart’s recent Majority Decision win over Waterhen was not just important because it added another victory to the Fort St. John fighter’s unblemished record, it demonstrated once again, that the relative newcomer to the sport can compete against experienced opposition.

“I would say it’s my best performance so far,” said Stewart while discussing his win over Waterhen. “I keep trying to get better and better. He was even tougher than I thought he was going to be. I didn’t expect him to be so elusive and I hit him with some pretty good shots, but it didn’t seem to slow him down too much...That was the hardest fight I’ve had so far. He’s one tough dude that’s for sure.”

“I felt very comfortable standing up with him and I knew he wasn’t going to want to grapple,” Stewart added. “I had read his other interview where he had said he was going to try to keep it standing, so I was expecting that the whole time.”

Heading into the bout Stewart had stated that he was expecting to have a size and strength advantage over Waterhen, due to the fact that the veteran recently moved up from welterweight, to compete at 185lbs.

“Yeah, but I didn’t get to utilize it much because the fight was mostly striking,” said Stewart when asked if he indeed felt a strength advantage during the fight. “Once we got to the ground though I felt quite a bit stronger than him.”

Up next, Stewart likely won’t be competing again until November, due to the fact that the B.C. resident will be getting married in October; 2010 is turning out to be a quite a year for the Iron Rhino MMA fighter.

“I didn’t really think about it much,” said Stewart, when asked how he originally envisioned his fight career progressing this past year. “I just said I’ll take it one fight at a time and now I’m just going to keep going; keep training and hopefully keep winning.”