Monday, November 22, 2010

Davis Taking Training to New Level for World Title Fight


By KOTC Staff

Last November, if you had told Garett Davis that approximately one year later he would be fighting for the King of the Cage World Welterweight Championship, even the veteran himself may have questioned your prediction. After all, at the time, Davis had not fought in over one year and was coming off back-to-back losses; the Vancouver resident had even questioned whether he would fight again.

But after recommitting himself to the sport he’s dedicated nearly a decade to, Davis has gone 3-0 in 2010, and laid claim to the KOTC Canadian welterweight title. Up next, Davis will look to add one more chapter to his memorable comeback, when he faces KOTC Welterweight Champion Quinn Mulhern, December 4th.

“I got an email from Orest (Zmyndak), the matchmaker and it was really simple to the point; ‘December 4th, world title fight versus Quinn Mulhern, are you in?’”, said Davis (14-10), who will battle for the world title next month in Cold Lake, Alberta. “I couldn’t respond quickly enough; I think I burned holes in the keyboard typing back my response so fast saying yes.”

“Getting a fight for the world title is huge for me,” Davis added. “Especially against a guy like Quinn Mulhern, so pulling off a victory over this guy is going to be huge for me and pull me more into the mainstream in the United States and across Canada. This is the biggest fight of my career.”

Like Davis, Mulhern has also gone undefeated in 2010, defeating veterans like Rich Clementi and most recently Joey Gorczynski, to extend his winning streak to five. Due to Mulhern’s memorable campaign, many throughout the MMA world have started to take notice of the KOTC world champ.

“He’s the champion for a reason you know?” Davis noted. “He’s 13-1 and his only loss is to Mike Guymon. I’ve seen a few of his fights on the Internet and he’s definitely going to be a tough match. He’s real tall, 6’3, so he’ll have a definite reach advantage against me. He’s a brown belt in jiu-jitsu too so on the ground he’s going to be a threat as well.”

Although Davis has had success throughout this year, training and preparing for fights in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, the accomplished jiu-jitsu competitor decided that for a fight of this magnitude, it was time to change things up.

“I did four weeks of training in Vancouver, training with Adam Ryan at Dynamic MMA and the guys at the garage,” said Davis. “Then, thanks to my good friend and training partner Denis Kang, he got the doors open for me at Tristar in Montreal. Firas (Zahabi) the head trainer there, and the other guys training there, it’s been unreal. There’s been the who’s who of MMA here.”

Georges St. Pierre’s been getting ready for his fight with Josh Koscheck and I’ve been one of his training partners,” Davis added. “Training with Denis Kang, Nick Ring, Rashad Evans, real hard, getting some serious attention, it’s been amazing. Without a doubt this is the most ready I’ve ever been mentally and physically for a fight.”

Davis is clearly confident as he heads into the fight, and as a result, he’s expecting to close out 2010 with a world title win.

“He’s going to be tough guy and I know he’s really experienced, but I’m ready for a war and I think I’m going to break him.”