Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chad Freeman Looking to Make the Most of “Great Opportunity”

By KOTC Staff

As 2010 came to a close, Chad Freeman had won three straight fights via first round submission, to extend his pro record to 6-3. The impressive run caught the attention of more than a few people in Canadian MMA circles, as the Kamloops fighter eventually received a call from King of the Cage Canada, who approached Freeman about fighting for the Canadian lightweight belt, March 18th.

“It’s a great opportunity for me to showcase my skills with one of the best organizations in Canada,” said the 33 year-old while discussing his upcoming "Brawl in the Mall 4" title shot, which will take place at the Edmonton Events Centre in Edmonton, Alberta. “It also gives me a chance to look for bigger opportunities with King of the Cage. I’m not getting any younger, so it’s a good opportunity to show all the years of hard work that I’ve put in.”

Freeman will return to KOTC Canada for the first time since September, 2008, when he stopped Mike Froese in the second round at the promotion’s “Unrefined” event. Since then, Freeman has gone 4-1 competing throughout Western Canada, earning wins over Mark Aparicio, C.J. Bagg, Froese once again, and most recently, Theo Brisley.

“We were in negotiations before,” said Freeman in regards to his KOTC return. “When they offered me a title shot I jumped on it right away.”

“I think my skills are continuing to evolve,” Freeman added while discussing his recent success. “I’m hungry; I quit my job and I’m training full time. I got myself my own gym in Kamloops; so being around it full time has made a big difference...I had a pretty good job but it was time to make a decision what I wanted to do. Pipe fitting was not what I wanted to do the rest of my life. Mixed-martial-arts is what I want to do.”

In order to make MMA the focal point of his professional life, Freeman opened the Branded MMA facility, and while the new venture has required a lot of time and effort, the veteran is excited about having his own gym.

“It’s been open for a couple of months now,” said Freeman. “It’s been tough because I left for Stanton, California to do some training, so I have a couple of other guys teaching, but I’m looking forward to winning this belt, getting back and building a fight team in Kamloops.


Contesting Freeman for the vacant lightweight belt will be Troy Sorenson (4-2). The Albertan fighter is coming off  a first round, submission win over Kris Kucher, which took place at KOTC Canada’s “Retaliation” event last February. Of Sorenson's four pro wins, two have come via first round submission, one by second round tap-out, and the other by unanimous decision.

“I’ve seen some video footage of him,” said Freeman, when asked what he knows about Sorenson’s skill set. “I don’t know much about him; the understanding is that he’s a bit of a grappler, but I’m really not too worried about what he brings to the table. I’m just going to fight my fight and it will take care of itself.”

Freeman mentioned heading to Stanton, where he’s been training at De La O Jiu Jitsu to help prepare for his upcoming bout with Sorenson.

“It’s been the best thing that I could have done,” Freeman noted. “Just getting away from home, no distractions, and just training for this fight. I have a lot of guys helping me; John De La O is the owner and founder, he’s been helping me get ready for this fight, Frank Park, the list just goes on. This is the best shape that I’ve ever been in; they’re putting me through hell here.”

And what’s the BJJ purple belt and experienced fighter’s prediction for March 18th?

“I’m going to take off right off the bat,” said Freeman. “I’m looking to probably ground-and-pound; finish him with the TKO or knockout, or a submission in the first round. I don’t plan on going any further than that.”

Tickets for Brawl at the Mall 4 can be bought at Clubzone.com or at the Wild West Shooting Centre.