Thursday, March 10, 2011

Troy Sorensen Says Dream Coming True Mar.18th

By KOTC Staff

Like all fighters, Troy Sorensen entered into mixed-martial-arts hoping that one day, hours of hard work and an unwavering dedication would culminate in competing for a championship belt. Well, after several years of training, fighting and scoring four pro victories, the Canadian Combat Club fighter will get his wish on March 18th.

“I was very excited,” said Sorensen, when asked how he felt upon finding out he would fight Chad Freeman for the vacant, King of the Cage Canadian lightweight championship. “I've always dreamed of a title shot.”

“Back in 2004, a buddy and I drove seven hours to watch a MMA fight in Lethbridge,” Sorensen added, when asked about how he got into the sport. “Half-way through the show I thought to myself "I could do better than that". As soon as we got back to Edson we started the Canadian Combat Club, and in early 2005 I started with amateur fights.”

The 37 year-old-fighter worked his way into title contention last February, by submitting up-and-coming KOTC lightweight Krish Kucher, at the promotion’s “Retaliation” event. The win ended the Edson resident’s two fight losing streak, after going 3-0 to begin his pro career.

“It gave me some more confidence, after two losses, but other than that I didn't learn anything,” said Sorensen while discussing his fourth victory.

Up next at “Brawl in the Mall 4”, Sorensen will take on the aforementioned Freeman, who will head into their bout having won three straight. The 33 year-old-veteran is coming off submission victories over Mike Froese, C.J. Bagg, and Theo Brisley, to extend his pro record to 6-3.

“I know Chad is mid 30's, 5'10", purple belt in jiu-jitsu, and going bald; exactly the same stats as me,” said Sorensen, while discussing the man he will fight at the Edmonton Events Centre on March 18th. “I know he likes to finish fights in the first round; lots of arm bars.”

When KOTC recently caught up with Freeman, the Kamloops fighter stated that he was confident facing Sorensen on the feet or on the mat. While both men are experienced grapplers, Sorensen also concedes that he’s more than willing to stand and trade with Freeman if need be, when they meet later this month.

“I hope he wants to stand and bang so I can show off my unorthodox stand-up skills, but if it goes to the mat I'm not worried,” said Sorensen. “I have a purple belt in Franco Behring Jiu-Jitsu, one of the most respected BJJ organizations in the world, under Professor Mike Yackulic, Professor Shah Franco, and Mestre Sylvio Behring. Professor Yackulic is a great instructor and has taught me everything I know. Professor Shah has developed many of the best fighters in Canada, and it shows throughout the team. Mestre Behring is the BJJ instructor for many world champions.”

Sorensen continues to train and work out Alberta’s Capital Region and the fitness club and coffee shop owner reports that training has been going well.

“Paul Tobin is my conditioning coach; that guy is sadistic,” Sorensen said while discussing his training camp. “Carlos Espinosa and Jeff St. Pierre have been training with me every day. Obviously, Professor Yackulic is critical for strategy and technique. I've been training for a fight that keeps getting postponed since early November; I've never been stronger, more conditioned or technically stronger.”

When Freeman was asked by KOTC to make a prediction on the upcoming title fight, Branded MMA’s head trainer and owner predicted he would win in the first round. While Sorensen’s call was less detailed, naturally, the fighter expects to emerge as the victor.

“I predict I will win...buy a ticket and watch it happen.”

Tickets for Brawl at the Mall 4 can be bought at Clubzone.com or at the Wild West Shooting Centre.