Saturday, September 3, 2011

Canadian Welterweight Champ Garett Davis: “I’m Lucky To Be Alive”


By KOTC Staff

In July, King of the Cage Canadian Welterweight Champion Garett Davis was set to compete on the promotion’s “Brawl in the Mall 5” event in Edmonton, Alberta, until an extremely unfortunate turn of events forced the veteran to the sidelines.

“I was on my bicycle on my way home and I was t-boned by a car,” said Davis, who would have competed for the second time in 2011, after submitting Gabe Rivas at KOTC Canada’s “Mile Zero” event. “It was 4 days before I was scheduled to fight Danny "Dee-1" Davis Jr. in the main event for King of the Cage, "Brawl in the Mall 5".”


The 34 year-old Davis did not offer any details regarding the extent of his injuries, which forced him off the July 16th card. 

“I'm still seeing doctors,” said the Vancouver fighter, who since he began competing professionally in 2002, has put together a record of 15-11. “I was hit by an accelerating 2000 pound car...I’m lucky to be alive.”

The unfortunate setback comes after Davis has re-established his presence in the Canadian welterweight rankings. After not competing throughout 2009, Davis returned to action in 2010 and has now gone 4-1, scoring wins over Nolan Clark, Shannon Ritch, Ryan Chiappe and the aforementioned Rivas. The only man to defeat Davis in his last five fights is former KOTC world champion and Strikeforce competitor Quinn Mulhern.

“Ah man, I still can’t believe it,” said Davis, who recently informed KOTC Canada that he was considering moving to the lightweight division before the accident. “I was seriously fit and ready to fight! “

“I had literally just left the doctor’s office with my prefight medicals in hand,” Davis added. “I trained very hard for this fight and it was a big event for me. Not being able to let loose after training for 8 weeks is extremely hard on the mental and physical.  I feel like I'm going to explode!”

At this juncture, it remains to be seen when Davis will return to action to defend his Canadian welterweight crown.

“Right now, I have no idea what the future holds for me,” said Davis, who has fought UFC and WEC vets like Jamie Varner, Jesse Bongfeldt and Mark Bocek during his near decade long career. “Thanks to all my family and friends for being so amazing during this rough time. Big love!”