Thursday, November 8, 2012

After “Rough Road Back”, Garett Davis Plans to Submit Elmer Waterhen at “Stand and Deliver”



After returning from a 16 month layoff in 2010, it didn’t take long for Garett Davis to make his presence felt throughout Canadian MMA, as the veteran proceeded to score four more wins and win the KOTC Canadian Welterweight Championship. Unfortunately for the accomplished grappler, however, his run came to an abrupt end in July, 2011, when he was struck by a car while driving his bike. Now, after spending another 18 months on the sidelines, Davis is set to return.


“It definitely was a rough road back,” said the 35 year-old Davis, who will look to defend his belt against Elmer Waterhen on November 16th, at KOTC Canada’s “Stand and Deliver” card. “For a year there I didn’t think I was every going to train or fight again. Then this past July, a year after my accident, my physiotherapist started having me go a little bit harder with my treatments and I started feeling a bit better.”

After a year of setbacks and disappointments, things started turning around for Davis as this summer came to end. Not only was the Vancouver fighter starting to recover more rapidly, but after heading to his home province of Newfoundland, Davis completed one of his crowning achievements.

“I started teaching jiu jitsu classes and ended up getting my black belt from Denis Kang,” said Davis. “I became Newfoundland’s first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black belt. So I was feeling pretty good, and when I got back from there in September, I went to see my doctor and got permission to start sparring again. Got in there; my body felt great, and I feel better than I’ve ever felt. I’m ready to go.”

“I was into my twelfth year of training,” Davis added, when asked if he suspected he might receive his black belt from Kang. “I felt I put in my time, but it was a great time and a great place to actually get it while I was in Newfoundland. It was just phenomenal...It was one of the greatest days in my life.”

Now Davis will look to complete his comeback when he takes on Waterhen on November 16th. Waterhen will be returning to the welterweight division, after competing at middleweight for sometime, where he secured the KOTC Canadian middleweight belt.

“I’ve fought a couple of guys like Elmer before, with losing records, but a lot of time the record doesn’t really show what’s going on,” said Davis about Waterhen, who submitted Mike Froese in March to defend his middleweight title. “A lot of the guys he’s lost to were champions. Elmer’s a very experienced and very tough guy. He’s not to be taken lightly...I’m training for the best fighter in the world.”

“I’m ready for this,” Davis furthered. “When I won the KOTC belt it was against the current 185 pound Canadian champion at the time, Ryan Chiappe, and I just went in there and did my thing. I came out with submission of the night, submission of the year and fight of the night. I plan on having the same type of showing against Elmer.”

Waterhen has also been involved in many memorable wars, and it will be interesting to see what type of strategy he tries to employ against the BJJ black belt.

“I’m pretty sure his team--I’ve fought on the same card as him a few times--they know who I am and they know what I’m about,” said Davis. “I’m pretty sure he’s going to want to keep the fight standing and finish me with strikes...It’s no secret what my game is. I don’t hide it. I’m going to take him down and submit him. It’s a simple as that.”

Tickets for “Stand and Deliver”, which will be hosted by Edmonton’s Mirage Banquet, can be purchased by heading to ClubZone.com or at the Wild West Shooting Centre.



www.goatpr.com