Monday, November 5, 2012

Cameron Loutitt Hoping For “Fight of the Night” Performance Against Steve Dubeck

Photo via Drew May Photography 

When Cameron Loutitt steps into the cage on November 16th, at King of the Cage Canada’s “Stand and Deliver” card in Edmonton, Alberta, nearly one year will have elapsed since the welterweight last competed. Although Loutitt has had to spend time on the sidelines due to injuries and a busy work schedule, he’s confident that a new-and-improved fighter will face Steve Dubeck later this month.


“I don’t think I’ve regressed any,” said the 22 year-old Loutitt, who also manages a supplement company. “In fact, with this training camp I feel like I’ve improved on a quite a bit of things, but I think it’s just being more mature and understanding things better.”

Loutitt made his pro debut in March, 2011 at KOTC’s Brawl in the Mall 4, and proceeded to tap out Henry Roswell with a first round, rear-naked-choke. Since then, however, the Legends fighter has dropped back-to-back bouts.

“I learned a lot from my last fight, and one of the things I learned was that I have to set my life up properly so I can dedicate myself to training,” Loutitt said. “Working part-time and training part-time, I was just half assing everything, so I just wanted to set things up where I could train consistently. Consistency is really the key to success, so I think my growth, my potential is going to be realized a lot faster now because I can be consistent with training.”

In Dubeck, Loutitt will face a man who has gone 3-1 in his last four bouts, after losing his first three professional fights. Two of the Bowman’s MMA fighter’s victories have come via first round stoppage.

“I checked out videos from one of his earlier fights,” said Loutitt. “I think it was from KOTC Infamy or something. He ended up losing the fight by decision (versus Daylon Erickson). His ground didn’t look very good from the pictures, but it was just pictures, so there’s only so much that you can judge from that.”

“One thing I noticed researching him is that all of his fights have been at middleweight, or against light-heavyweight guys, so it seems like he may be cutting a lot of weight to make it to 170,” added Loutitt. “Also, I train with Ryan McGillivray, who has beat him before, so I have my own game-plan in my head.”

That strategy could involve trying to take Dubeck down to look for a submission, as according to Loutitt, forcing an opponent to tap-out is something he thrives on.

“I think I’m well rounded, but I prefer to submit people,” Loutitt admitted. “I like taking someone’s will away from fighting; when someone taps, they’re saying ‘hey, I don’t want to fight anymore'. I enjoy that aspect of fighting, but I love standing and banging too.”

“I want to put on a good fight, and I want it to be a good technical fight, and I want it to be explosive,” Loutitt added. “I want it to be a fight of the night performance, and I want everyone to be impressed so that coming into the new year, people will know to look out for me.”

Unlike many fighters who got involved in MMA due to earlier experiences training in martial arts or watching the UFC, Loutitt credits another sport for his pro career.

“What really got it started I think was that in junior high I was super into pro wrestling,” the Edmonton fighter relayed. “I ended up joining the wrestling team, and wrestled in high school, but my particular interest in wrestling was submission moves. A friended showed me a Peruvian Necktie on YouTube and I was like “I got to learn that.” I was going to NAIT and had a couple of classmates that were going to Legends so I joined up.”

Tickets for “Stand and Deliver”, which will be hosted by the Mirage Banquet, can be purchased by heading to ClubZone.com or at the Wild West Shooting Centre.

www.goatpr.com