Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Steve Dubeck and Chris “Auto” Mattock Ready for Battle at “Earthquake”


Steve Dubeck and Chris “Auto” Mattock may be at different junctures of their pro MMA careers, but both will be looking to build momentum when they fight at King of the Cage Canada’s June 7th, “Earthquake” card.


The veteran Dubeck will be competing in his ninth pro bout at the event, and is hoping to build on a submission win he scored over Simon Shirt in March. Mattock, on the other hand, is hoping to rebound from a stoppage loss he suffered versus Elvis Vukaj in February, which was the welterweight’s first defeat in six amateur and pro bouts.

“Honestly, I feel great; even after, not my last fight but before when I lost (versus Cameron Loutitt at a KOTC event in November), everything is really coming together for me MMA wise, not just one specific martial art,” the 27 year-old Dubeck noted. “My whole MMA game is right where it needs to be.”

“Steve is someone with oodles of experience,” said Mattock, when asked what a win over a vet like Dubeck would mean. “Yes, I just used the word 'oodles, and it will show that I am becoming a more complete fighter by beating someone who is as rounded as Steve.”

Due to the fact Dubeck has competed in nine pro bouts, and has been fighting professionally since 2007, it’s not overly surprising to see that Mattock is familiar with his next opponent.

“I know Steve is a rounded fighter who likes to hit hard,” the 26 year-old, University of Calgary student said about the vet. “He's had some ups and downs but is coming of a quick win in his last fight. He's not going to back down from this fight and I can't expect him to wilt when the pressure is on.”

Dubeck, on the other hand, concedes he doesn’t know very much about the Calgary fighter, who took his first amateur bout in June, 2009.

“I don’t know too much about him,” The Fort McMurray resident said about Mattock, who got his start at Gracia Barra under Professor Josh Russell, and has also been straining his striking at Mike Miles Muay Thai gyms. “I know his record and I know the wins are by submission so I’m assuming he’s somewhat of a grappler. Other than that I don’t know anything about him.”

Dubeck continues to train out of the renowned Bowman’s MMA gym in Fort McMurray and maintain a pretty busy fight schedule, when he’s not working as a full time millwright.

“The thing that I’ve found, and that has also helped my game, is that the more you stay active; when I first started out I was trying to accomplish other things as well, outside of MMA,” Dubeck added. “The more busy you stay at it, the busier you are, you ride that wave. I’ve had that one upset there, but other than that, it hasn’t taken away from anything. It’s just pushed me hard to stay where I’m at and continue to get better.”

As Dubeck noted, all of Mattock’s wins have come via submission, and four of his five victories (professional and amateur) have taken place in the first round.

 “I think my best asset is my aggressiveness,” said Mattock, who also credited his strength and conditioning coach, Nathan Bodewitz from Stenia Health and High Performance, for helping him get ready. “I like to push forward and I'm willing to mix it up anywhere. I want to finish the fight no matter what and I'm going to look to finish whether I'm on the feet or on the ground. Fans can expect to see me come forward and try to finish as quickly as possible.”

“I'm expecting fireworks with this fight and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with fight of the night,” added Mattock, who also teaches jiu-jitsu. “It's not going the distance and will probably end by submission in the second or third round.

"Earthquake” will be hosted by Edmonton’s Mirage Banquet Hall on June 7th. Tickets for the show are available at the Wild West Shooting Centre.

www.goatpr.com

(Photo via MMA News Canada.com)